Thursday, March 29, 2012

For Tim...

So, by request…here is a little update on the vet visit.  Last week I was supposed to take Sid and Geno to the vet.  Sid was being spayed and microchipped, and Geno was being microchipped.  I was concerned because I only have one cat carrier…but neither one of them is very large.  In the morning, I got the carrier out, put a towel in there, and opened the door.  Both cats went right in (curiosity killed the cat, right?).  I closed them in, and loaded them into the car.  The whole way to the vet, there was not one single noise from that carrier.  They were little angels. 
I dropped them off, and went to work.  But the fun was just beginning.  About 30 minutes after I got to work, the vet called me.  They had already put Sid under the anesthesia, and when they were shaving her, they found a scar, and a small tattoo.  Apparently, sometimes rescues and shelters will tattoo animals that have been spayed, so that if they turn up somewhere else, you know they’ve been taken care of.  Anyway, this wouldn’t have been any big deal, except Sid is very young, maybe 4 months…and the kicker is she already had a microchip.  The vet felt confident she had already been spayed, so she didn’t want to open her up again, and I agreed.
I called the rescue group to let them know.  She made some calls, and tracked the microchip to a shelter in North Carolina.  So it seems someone must have had a litter of kittens that were spayed, but didn’t want them, and dumped them here.  She was found with a colony of feral cats by a dumpster on Memorial.  It’s a mystery, but no owner info was on the chip, so…
After work, I picked them up.  They brought them out, both of them in the same carrier from the morning.  The tech sat them down on the counter, and I heard a loud “MROW!!”  I didn’t really think much of it.  I loaded them into the car, and all was fine for about 3 minutes.  Then, the hissing began.  I live about 15 minutes from the vet.  In that time, Geno hissed, spat, bit, pinned and wrestled Sid in the space of that tiny carrier.  The carrier was bouncing all over the front seat of the car. I was seriously afraid that he was going to hurt her.  I had a cardboard box in the backseat for moving, and I seriously thought about stopping and putting one of them in the box.  The only thing that stopped me was that I was pretty sure that if I opened the door of the carrier, he would bolt, and I’d never be able to hold him.  So we toughed it out.  BUT – next time, I might have to invest in a second freakin cat carrier….

No comments:

Post a Comment