Thursday, February 9, 2012

Going Into the Closet

In case you were wondering, the background image on this page is NOT my closet.  Yeah, I didn’t think you’d make that mistake either, but you never know.  Did you know that there are people out there (notice the use of the plural) who actually organize their closets not just by type of clothing, but also by COLOR?  My friend Angela does this, and so does her sister.  I always thought that they were just overachievers.  But now it has come to my attention that apparently, this is a common phenomenon.  I can’t even imagine what that must entail.  Most of the time, I’m lucky my clothes ever get folded, or make it back into the closet (see previous post regarding buried chair). 
I’ve always been a subscriber to the “you’re just lucky it’s on a hanger at all, why make it harder than it already is” school of closet organization.  Part of that is the result of growing up in a house that had no closets at all.  Tough to learn that skill, when your closet is 18” and has a sloped ceiling because it runs under the stairs.  Or later, when it’s a bar with no doors that spans a gaping hole in the attic (My dad is quite the carpenter, you see…).  I had a friend in high school that had your basic bi-fold door closet.  It had the racks and such, with shelves, high hanging areas, short hanging areas, and a space on the top shelf for shoes (In clear boxes…we’ll address that nonsense in another post).   She was a bit of a neat freak too, so again, it never occurred to me that this was normal.  My best friend also grew up in a house with serious closet issues, so what did I know?
Jackie’s closet was probably a thing of beauty.  She probably had her things divided up by type, color, fabric, maybe even designer (although she wasn’t above owning a knock-off).  Rows and rows of beautiful silk scarves, sweater sets, slacks…shoes, HATS.  Why did people stop wearing hats?  Men and women.  We should go back to that.  But I digress.  Back to Jackie’s closet, or more to the point, my closet.  Here it is, in all its glory:   


Before you go getting all up in my grill about how I have so many clothes, let’s get one thing clear.  A lot of these things don’t fit.  A lot of them are things that Parker (my style Guru) and many other friends have told me never to wear again (I’m thinking about you, navy golf shirt).  I am always afraid to donate clothes that don’t fit me under the pretense that if I lose weight, I won’t have to buy new things.  The reality is…some of those things have been in there waiting for…years.  I think it is time to take stock.  Considering that I am planning to move at the end of my lease (May), purging can only be a good thing.  Plus, if I get rid of all the stuff I don’t wear, two things will happen.  A) I will be able to organize my closet like Angela (and Jackie), and 2) I will be able to go on a shopping spree if this whole working out thing causes my body to change.   The only problem is…I have no idea HOW to go about this.  I seriously just googled “how to organize your closet”.  I need therapy.

No comments:

Post a Comment